Monday 2 May 2011

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

Whilst constructing, filming and editing this piece of media I have used many types of technology, such as: Video Camera, Tripod, Camera, iMovie, Windows Movie Maker etc. I had never used Windows Movie Maker before and this was a new experience for me as it is very different to iMovie. This was a slight problem as it was far more time consuming and cutting clips was a bit of a pain. Things like the Video Camera and the Tripod were very easy to use, simply because they had been used before.

  • JVC Everio GZ-MG334HEK
This is the camera I filmed all of my footage on. I didn't learn anything new that I hadn't done before whilst using this, except from importing the footage to my laptop. With this, I also used a tripod and I learnt how to hold a shot steady. One thing I regret is not checking the focus, at points in my film opening it is not very good and I did not notice this until I had imported it and by then it was too late to re-film the footage.
  • Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W55 was used to take pictures of the character, and possible locations. This again was nothing new to me as it is something I use a lot.







  • YouTube- I used this for searching for clips of film openings for research and inspiration. I also used this to upload my film opening to embed it into my blog. Ideally I would have used Vimeo as YouTube caused a huge problem with the quality of the video once I had uploaded it. I couldn't use Vimeo because it refuses to co-operate with my laptop! I learnt how to upload a video to YouTube and edit the information, a slightly different process to using Vimeo which is the website I usually use for uploading.


  • Soundcloud -  I used this to search for uncopyrighted music to use in my film opening. I spent a long time searching before I found what I was looking for as I felt this was a very important aspect of the opening and that it would complete the mood. I had never used this website before and I had to search in different sections for genre and royalty free music. 







  • Blogger - This was the blogging website I used to document everything I have done from the beginning, all of the research and planning leading up to my final piece. As I had never used this website before I started my AS work, all of the functions were very new to me. I learnt how to post (and all the things within that e.g tagging, adding pictures), use html and generally mess around with the blog layout and background etc.

  • Scanner - I used my scanner to transfer my storyboard from paper to my blog. Also having never used this, it was quite problematic at the time but was much better quality-wise than just taking a photo of the piece of paper.



  • Paint - I used this to create the background for my 'animation' at the beginning of the opening. This was very basic and I didn't use any new skills for it.

Overall, I have learnt that technologies are not always reliable, nor act how you may want them to! Envisioning something in your head is fine, but managing to create it just as planned is much harder.

      1 comment:

      1. I couldn't afford or validate spending several hundred dollars for some better known brands considering my needs. This is my first pro Ravelli APGL4 New Professional Tripod. I plan to use it mainly for studio work but it'll go out into the field with me sometimes and yes it is heavy but it's solid as a rock.
        Rex
        ravelli apgl4

        ReplyDelete